This custom scarf is off on a grand overseas adventure soon to help keep its new owner warm while she travels about some very chilly parts of the world
I thought, for the weavers reading this, I’d share my notes on weaving this particular scarf as it’s not a combination I’d normally consider due to the 2 drafts/patterns having very different behaviors. Waffle weave, which you might recognise from towels, face washers and even some blankets, has a tendency to shrink and crumple up on itself a bit once it’s off the loom and relaxed with finishing while plain weave doesn’t shrink up anywhere near so much. So, although Alpaca was the chosen fibre (it’s known to have little to no memory so less likely to be so drastic with its changes) I was still on edge waiting for it to finish soaking and drying. If the selected fibre was a wool I may not have even attempted this mix.
It was woven on an 8 shaft Louet David loom with GIST yarns 2/16 100% Alpaca yarn with the waffle weave spread out over 6 shafts and the plain weave over 2. I had made a 3 yard warp (including waste and decent sample length) with 349 ends of yarn for this scarf (I was aiming for 15-16 inches wide finished) with the waffle weave portion sett at 24EPI and the plain weave at 18EPI 144 ends of the graphite and 204 ends of cream + 1 strand of the cream as a floating selvedge. I then started the pattern, leaving room for the fringe, in Denim (I wove a couple of inches and then hemmed the first end by hand), followed by cloud, turquoise, cream (this time alpaca/silk blend as I’d run out of 100% alpaca), cloud and finished off with graphite. A stripe in graphite was made in the denim blue section and there is another in denim not visible in the photos in the cloud section. The other end was hand hemmed before being cut from the loom. The fringe was trimmed to 1.5 inches and will be cut to 1 inch tomorrow. I like to leave a little length to allow the ends to bloom in the first wash. It was hand washed with a gentle fibre rinse before hanging on a coat hanger to dry straight.
As I expected there would be there is a very slight curve on the ends given the pattern differences but it’s barely noticeable hanging (if hung/blocked under tension/weight it wouldn’t exist) and it’s not noticeable at all when wrapped as a scarf so I’m very happy with the result! Here are a few photos…
The next 2 images show the waffle structure before and after wet finishing.